Home

Go Back   400 Scale Hangar > Art Hangar > Model Airports

Old 03-25-2016, 02:25 PM   #1
ArnoldC
Regular Hangar Mechanic

UnitedStates
Favored Airfields

Arrabury (AAB) and Bollon (BLS), Queensland, Australia are both on my short list.

Immediately upon receiving my AeroClassics 1:400 Fokker F-27 and F-28 Ansett Air's, they elevated to most favored status in my small collection. Knew they both need special display bases and airfields to fly into. To that end, display base for the F-27 nears completion. Arrabury AAB seems logical for its abilities. F-28 gets Bollon BLS as a display base once Arrabury gets its sealing coat.

Thinking they both need a more appropriate display based on AAB and BLS. Brainstorming trying to determine the golden ratio for a 1:400 display. Thinking I may try a 4" x 16" base. That is, I think, about 10cm x 40.5cm in metric speak. Anyone have any experience in what is a representative size for a 1:400 airfield? Mine will all be regional and/or unimproved fields.

Google earth greatly aided in my search of out-of-the way airfields. Crediting Google earth for the two images at thumbnail.

Cheers, ArnoldC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 009 (2) (800x672).jpg (49.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Arrabury Airport AAB.jpg (114.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Bollon Arpt BLS.jpg (178.5 KB, 4 views)
Old 03-29-2016, 02:07 PM   #2
Yellow_Ribbon
Flagship Liberty
Supreme Hangar Mechanic

UnitedStates
For a relatively undeveloped airfield, you can probably get away with a shack (terminal) and the 'apron.' Some examples would be Dubai 1959 and the small Alaskan airfields. For AK, the largest craft would be the B732 combis. Not much traffic, but they still have the small-town charm (and a gravel runway takeoff). Dubai had traffic cones as taxiway edges and an unpaved taxiway. It would be a very interesting diorama on how the airport grew from that to a major international airport, which it is today.

Good luck on your project.
Old 03-29-2016, 02:47 PM   #3
Ultimo Tiger
Supreme Hangar Mechanic

UnitedKingdom
I do love the charm of these small airfields, bit like old railway branch lines here in the UK. Might not have all the excitement of their larger cousins but still of interest.
Ultimo Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 02:13 PM   #4
ArnoldC
Regular Hangar Mechanic

UnitedStates
Thanks, guys. Well all, here's how the effort is going to date.

At thumbnail is F-27 turboprop depicted on a Arrabury Field display base, and a F-28 twin jet on the Bollon Field base. Attempting to convey the essence of these small fields on 3 1/2" x 4 1/2" base is challenging. Pick out key terrain features and let the rest go.

Cut a test piece of 4" x 16". Ended up cutting it back to 4" x 12". The 4x16 just didn't look proportional as a mini-airfield to me. Thinking a 1:3 ratio may be what works.

Cheers, ArnoldC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 004 (2) (631x460).jpg (268.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 009 (2) (558x405).jpg (239.5 KB, 6 views)
Old 04-15-2016, 02:32 PM   #5
ArnoldC
Regular Hangar Mechanic

UnitedStates
Waimea-Kohala Airfield MUE

Next up is my take on a small Hawaiian airfield. It's located on the NW part of the Big Island of Hawaii. Here's a background link:

http://hawaii.gov/mue/

Google earth continues to provide superior images for me to duplicate. Shrinking it to 3" x 8 1/2", again a challenge to capture the spirit of the small field.

Depicted is my 1:400 GJ Aloha Air Cargo B737-200C, Reg. N842AL, on its take-off roll. [ Edit: Added an ATR-42 to my collection. It better fits this airfield. ]

Cheers, ArnoldC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MUE terminal area and runway 4.jpg (99.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 002 (2) (800x330).jpg (238.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 016 (2) (719x489).jpg (281.7 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by ArnoldC; 05-06-2016 at 12:39 PM. Reason: add ATR-42 image
ArnoldC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 10:08 AM   #6
Yellow_Ribbon
Flagship Liberty
Supreme Hangar Mechanic

UnitedStates
Looking good Arnold. Do you have a plastic case and background for the diorama?
Old 04-17-2016, 11:36 AM   #7
ArnoldC
Regular Hangar Mechanic

UnitedStates
Hello, Andy. Thanks. No plastic case and background yet. That is the next logical step. Your ' Zinc Rot/Varig ' presentation serves as a standard to aspire to.

At present, model display case is a 30in x 24in acrylic case made for 1/24 scale cars. It has 21 unique compartments. None very deep. As a result, my collection is limited to regional and short-haul airliners. It has a reflective mirror backing, precluding any imaging. May play around with some backgrounds in it as a starter.

Next up on the paint bench is a compass circle from Sea-Tac (SEA). A departure from my small field focus, but adaptable to small fields using a modular principle, me thinks.

Cheers. Thanks for looking in. ArnoldC
Old 04-18-2016, 07:32 PM   #8
Yellow_Ribbon
Flagship Liberty
Supreme Hangar Mechanic

UnitedStates
Hi Arnold, Thanks. Varig 254 might get an update to the present day for I'm taking a biology class. May get away with this for the final, showing how nature will continue even after an event such as a plane crash occurs.

Still, Looking forward to Seatac and some backgrounds.

Andy
Old 05-06-2016, 01:00 PM   #9
ArnoldC
Regular Hangar Mechanic

UnitedStates
Best I have to show for my efforts of the past two weeks or so is this concrete pad with a Lufthansa B737-500 positioned on its corner.

The base was a previous 'mistake' of mine. Wanted to see how it would over-coat. Used a darker color gray to accomplish that. Concrete 'seams' are alcohol pen. Curious. When I went to seal it using matte clear acrylic, the alcohol pen wanted to dissolve and lift. Had to clear coat it quickly and lightly. After that, was able to go back and put on a heavier coat of matte clear.

Did finish the Sea-Tac International (SEA) compass rose. Not to my satisfaction. Buried an image of it in my profile album, 'Regional Classics'. Those wanting to endure the pain are welcome to view it there. Dont' say I didn't warn you... Not to worry, it's on my re-do list.

Model is 1:400 GJ, registration D-ABIR, recently flown from Frankfurt to Orlando and stored after twenty five years of regional service in Europe.

Cheers, ArnoldC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 011 (2) (800x424).jpg (257.9 KB, 3 views)
Old 06-19-2016, 11:42 AM   #10
ArnoldC
Regular Hangar Mechanic

UnitedStates
Visit by the FAA

My latest subject is the hardstand at Converse County Airport (DGW), Douglas, Wyoming, USA. It cries out for a modular display base. My first try at modular. Its character cannot be captured on a smaller base. This is also my first attempt at scaling from a Google image, using the Google ruler feature.

Standardizing on 3 1/2" x 8" for this size display base. Went a little thicker, up to 3/16" thickness instead of the usual 1/8" for the smaller 3 1/2" x 4" base. Still have to tape in the two helipads. They are penciled in for now. I'll get to them later, when the time is right.

Displayed are two GJ 1:400's. Convair CV-580 in FAA livery readying it self for an overnight tether. Just coming off the taxiway onto the hardstand is my beloved 'Shed', US Air Shorts 360.

Cheers, ArnoldC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Converse Co Wy helipads H1 and H2 DGW (2) (800x472).jpg (85.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 001 (2) (800x600).jpg (30.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 003 (2) (800x600).jpg (275.0 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by ArnoldC; 06-19-2016 at 11:46 AM. Reason: add the Google sentence
ArnoldC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 04:52 PM   #11
ArnoldC
Regular Hangar Mechanic

UnitedStates
Maint hangar for KBFF

Hey guys,

Been hanging back waiting for the opportunity to begin work on my representation of KBFF, Scottsbluff, Nebraska, airfield. Seems like there is always a competing project that takes precedence over the space I need to build the base table.

Had a hankerin to build today, so began on the 1/400 maintenance hangar. It does not look like it now, but it will later. Two things driving the why of building it this way. One, a plug-and-play that will plug into the diorama base makes sense for me. I am always jostling about and upsetting things. Using 1/4 in. aluminum tubing allows me to drill the diorama base and set the hanger steady in place. Two, plan is to light the hangar for night operations, so want a sturdy hangar to support whatever LED light set I hang.

It is a start on the PRSA KBFF diorama. The hardest part of a project for me is getting it started.

Cheers, Gang
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 005 (2) (800x600).jpg (43.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 006 (2) (800x600).jpg (43.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-11-2017, 06:50 PM   #12
Ultimo Tiger
Supreme Hangar Mechanic

UnitedKingdom
Looking forward to seeing the finished item!
Old 02-11-2017, 11:05 PM   #13
Yellow_Ribbon
Flagship Liberty
Supreme Hangar Mechanic

UnitedStates
Looking good, and it's always great to take it one model and one diorama at a time. And can't wait to see some night shots!
Old 03-15-2017, 11:50 AM   #14
ArnoldC
Regular Hangar Mechanic

UnitedStates
PCMS, Colorado USA

Hi Guys,

Been a while since I painted up a display base. This one just sort of happened-but came out acceptably. Display base is 8-inch x 3 1/2-inch x 3/16-inch Masonite. Paints are earth tone acrylics.

Model is a recently acquired Herpa 1:400 JU-52 representing the Amicale Jean-Baptiste Salis restoration, Paris, France.

Representation is airfield at Pinon Canyon Maneuver Site, U.S.Army. The airstrip is 70ft x 4500ft gravel base. PCMS is located on the front range of the Rocky Mountains in SE Colorado, USA. I was on exercise at PCMS assigned to a USAR Support Group back 1989. Immediately recognized the terrain, and knew I had to try a model base of it.

Hope you guys like this one as much as I do. Enjoy. Thanks, Google Maps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 207 (2) (800x543).jpg (26.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PCMS 0CD5.jpg (131.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-15-2017, 04:16 PM   #15
Ultimo Tiger
Supreme Hangar Mechanic

UnitedKingdom
Nice work. I do love these little diromas. Still cool but without needing the space you'd need for a full airport.